In 2013, according to the World Travel and Tourism Council, the real estate sector has provided a direct contribution to Italian GDP of 4.2% and a total contribution of 10.3%, employing directly 1.1 million people.
The luxury segment in Italy follows a growing trend in recent years, thanks to the strong attractiveness of foreign tourism. In 2015, the observatory of the international exchange of tourism, has recognized Italy as best touristic destination for luxury travel, especially preferred by affluent international travellers.
The luxury segment is growing:
- the percentage of luxury customers who book more than 4 trips a year rose from 35% to 51% over the last two years (source: ENIT)
- In 2013, the luxury tourism segment reached a value of 12.2%, compared to 10.5% in 2009.
- Holiday “high level” rose from 34% to 35.8% (source: Office Marketing BIT Milan)
- In 2015, the turnout in the ultra-luxury hotel facilities registered a + 20% over the previous year.
The most significant growth trend (source: general manager of CastaDiva Resort & SPA managers) in the luxury segment are:
- + 40% attendance from Arab countries.
- Constant influx of European Russian customers.
- Growth of the presence of American travellers, almost doubled and with tripled spending margin in 2015.
- Slight growth of the Frence and substantial stability by German tourists.
The real estate market in Salento
In 2015, bucking the national market, in Salento there was an increase in real estate sales, so that the records kept by the Tecnocasa group speak of a driving force, able to tow the Apulian and southern market, strongly linked to the positive trend of tourism.